Association History

Glen Forest's original charter area consisted of about 112 homes. The area is roughly rectangular starting at Leesburg Pike, extending down Glen Forest Drive to the Glen Forest Elementary School, built in 1957. However, this total included 14 homes on Merritt Place built on the North side of Long Branch Creek between 1955 and 1959.
In addition to these homes, a 6.8 acre park was designed in the northern part of the tract, with a car entrance at 3300 Kaywood Place. The Association does not maintain a mailing address here so there is no mailbox by this driveway. The property includes a 10-foot strip of land to allow pedestrian access between 5913 and 5915 Merritt Place. On May 20, 1957, Woodrow W. and Mary E. Oliver deeded this land to the Association. To receive this donation, the initial residents had to form the Association, incorporating themselves under the Virginia State Corporate Commission on December 20, 1957 (ID #792945). The Olivers dedicated this park on May 4, 1958 subject to this restrictive covenant:
Said property shall be used by members of the Glen Forest Community Association, Inc., only for the construction, maintenance and operation of a swimming pool, bath house, community house, and other recreational facilities, together with such incidental objects or purposes as are appropriate in the conduct of its activities.
Despite the Oliver's generous donation, theirs was essentially a business decision. The only other use for the parkland in 1957 would have been for an large estate home, but there was no market for one at that time (zoning was also a question) and there is no acceptable frontage on the park perimeter for a single-family unit. Thus, they built a swimming pool and bathhouse (below) and an
entrance driveway and ford (above) around 1960. (It's unknown if the original foot bridge was built at that time.) The pool became an incentive to buy a home and its cost was incorporated into the selling price.
Among the first residents in 1955 (reportedly the first) were the Shumans at 5861 Glen Forest Drive (below, second house on right entering from Route 7). Irene, the wife and mother, became our oldest original resident until her death in 2010. In later years, a tennis court was added, exempted from Fairfax County property taxes.
Home building in our neighborhood continued into the 1970s, bringing the number of houses to about 400. Those built in the 1990s and the addition of Brill Court in 2006 brought the total close to 450.
The original Association members decided against mandatory fees and instead asked for a voluntary annual contribution. They also offered annual pool memberships to fund the facility and incidental costs. In the beginning, memberships were restricted to charter residents within the original boundaries. In time, to cover increasing expenses, the bylaws were revised to allow residents of nearby neighborhoods to join as associates and buy pool memberships. The first to come in were Glen Acres and Congressional Acres. These decisions have kept costs down, but the Association still has been unable to build a capital fund to renovate the pool and park.
Many improvements have been made to the swimming facility over the years, giving it the most modern filters, pumps, capstones, furniture, and safety features. Initially, the Association ran the pool, furnishing its own pool operator and hiring the lifeguards. Irene Shuman held a pool operator's license during many of these years. Today, we hire a pool management company for maintenance and lifeguards.
Fairfax County holds an easement to about 80 percent of our park because water and sewer linescross the property, running beneath the creek. The Association has a cooperative relationship with the county that has benefited the area. Around 2002, we let the county use our driveway to repair and upgrade Long Branch Creek, mostly erosion control measures. To reciprocate, they replaced our footbridge (above) and ford and re-paved our driveway.
Below are some of our street statistics:
ASSOCIATE AREAS1
Street (Homes) Built Street (Homes) Built
Chicamuxen Ct. (8) 1965-6 Ardley Ct. (70) 1966
Spring Ln. (37) 1971 Robinwood Ln. (14) 1959
Glen Forest Dr. (N) (6) 1979 6th St. South (25) 1979
6th St.2 (17) 1950-2 Red Pine St. (1) 1976
6th Rd. South (7) 1979 Merritt Pl. (N) (4) 1975-9
Magnolia Ave.2 (14) 1957-9 Kimble Ct.2 (18) 1961-2
Olds Dr.2 (2) 1972 Hardwick Pl. (38) 1965
Glen Carlyn Rd. (S) (6) 1965 Glen Carlyn Rd. (N)2 (5) 1961-2
Brill Ct.3 (6) 2006
Notes
 1On March 20, 2010, all streets became regular, voting members
 2Voting members along with charter members
 3One house is part of Pensa Drive